Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fucus in the bathtub



This past week was an exciting one. The Phycology Society of America had it's annual conference in Seattle. Along with the excitement of giving a talk about genetic diversity of Heterosigma, learning from other talks about seaweed ecology, seeing old friends, and making new ones; we discussed changing the society's name. My favorite so far is 'Premier Studiers of Algae,' which my mother rejoices over. Apparently, I sometimes mis-pronounce 'phycology.' I accidentally become obscene when my 'fy' sounds like 'fu'...

One of the highlights was a meal where every dish was prepared with seaweeds. I sat across from seaweed herbalists, Christine Hopkins, and Amanda Swinimer from Sooke. They told of wonderful effects of bathing with seaweeds, so I felt compelled to give it a try. Of course, last week, the kids gave me a seaweed/lavender facial so I felt game to give this next level in 'science immersion' a go. I collected drift Fucus from high tide, washed it off in the bay, and then plunked it into my tub. 'Fucus' is another algae word that can easily be mis-pronounced...

It turned out, Fucus in the tub was amazingly delightful. As I rubbed it over my arm, it left a lovely coating all over my skin. I felt like I was turning into a slimy salmon. Christine says Fucus goo also works wonders on a sunburn; much the same relief you get from fresh aloe.

Fucus is the lovely brown alga we often call rockweed, bladder wrack, pop-its, and deer toes. It grows high in the inter-tidal and will often dominate where a fresh water seep meets the beach. (like just west of the north shore boat ramps) Next time you are out walking the beach, pick a little bit up and give it a try. Sure beats a bubble bath!



No comments:

Post a Comment